Last night as I was driving home I saw an "In Loving Memory" on the back of a vehicle. I see these all the time, but this one was different. This was for a woman's son, and yesterday was his birthday. He passed in 2008, and he would have been 30 today. For some reason this made me extremely sad and also made me think, "I wonder what the woman, the mother, was thinking that day behind the wheel. I wondered what her life was like. What happened to her son. Was she married or alone? Maybe she had other kids? And I just hoped she wasn't going to be alone that day.
Sometimes I go to Disneyland just to have me time, but also to people watch. I make up stories about the people who are there. They are very elaborate, almost like playing with barbies again as a kid. This woman is married to this man, they have a small house in this city, and their kids names are...
I'm sure this might seem odd, but it's kind of a creative outlet for me. I could easily just sit with a group of people and just listen and watch. It's funny too, because when I was younger I always wanted to be heard and to be the center of attention, but the older I get, the more I realize I'm content with just sitting back and letting the people around me get the spotlight.
Anyways, this was a random posting - but I figured I'd let my thought process be known just a little more.
1 comment:
I love to read your blog :) People watching is interesting. I do that on the bus a lot, especially going down Hastings, which I don't do now that we've moved, but it's right near where I work -- it's the homeless, junkie area of Vancouver. I have often wanted to do a book called "The Faces of Vancouver" just to memorialize these people.
Post a Comment